Friday, January 30, 2015

BMB Reform Blog: Meet Kelly!

Hello again readers!  This week we have an interview with Kelly, a birth mom and close friend of mine!  Let's see what she has to say!

1.  Please tell us your name and a brief intro to your story. 

My name is Kelly and I am mother to KeyShon aka (also renamed as) Jaxon.  He is 13 years old.  I placed in a semi-open adoption which turned to pretty much closed without reason.

2.  Are there any aspects of adoption you would like to see changed?  This can be within your own journey or adoption as a whole.

I think age of consent needs to change or have some kind of barrier.  By that I mean a 3rd party who doesn't benefit either way to give the WHOLE truth on adoption (what it really means for each and every woman).  I think for women under 18-21 it should  be mandatory!  Also, there should be a standard time across ALL states when a parent can sign away rights, not 50 different laws for each state!  And MOST importantly a contact signed by either an agency or the aparents should become automatically legally binding just like a photographer for a wedding.  There should be recourse.  Records of ANY adopted person should be unsealed at 18 regardless if both request or not!  Obviously I could go on and on ...

3.  What does adoption reform mean to you and why do you think it's important?

It is important, not just to us the birthparents, families, and adoptees, but also to the world.  This is a problem that needs to be recognized as one and addressed accordingly!

4.  This is your space to write any additional comments, link to your blog, etc.  Anything you would like to share!

I miss my son more than I could EVER express.  What happened in my journey and so many others IS and WAS wrong! What I would give just to have him in my life...


Thank you so much for your insight, Kelly!

If you or anyone you know would like to be interviewed for this section, or if you have an important reform topic you would like discussed, please feel free to email me!  I look forward to hearing from you!





No comments:

Post a Comment