Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Reform in Adoption Land


Hello!  For those of you who don't know me, my name is Amanda.  For awhile now, I have been doing the weekly quotes and music posts here at BirthMom Buds.  What you might not know is that I have a huge interest in a subject that often creates controversy, but is very important and close to my heart:  Adoption Reform.

So, of course, when Coley asked me if I would be interested in writing a bi-monthly blog (occasionally weekly when time permits), I jumped at the chance!  And here I am!  I would love to keep these entries interactive with input from you, the readers.  I would like to do Question and Answer sessions with some of you to find out where you think change is needed, as well as give you a platform to tell your personal stories.  And, of course, cover topics within adoption I personally feel need some change.

Being that this is my first "reform" blog here, I'm going to keep it fairly light and just mirror a question that was raised on the BirthMom Buds Facebook page.  What are some things you all feel need to be changed within the adoption world either in your own personal journeys or adoption as a whole?  I would love to read the various comments on this!

And please, if any of you would like to volunteer for some Question and Answers, offer tips or suggestions, or tell me your story, feel free to email me here.  


2 comments:

  1. I was in The US Millitary and unfortunately gor pregnant with a Higher Ranked and married man and chose to not destroy his carreer nor marraige, and gave a child up for adoption. Im gonna try and keep this short which may not be possible, but I had her in my care for 3 days after the birth the adoptive parents were there when she was born but the paperwork wasnt settled and I did not want her going to foster for a few days so I brought her home. I cared for her as any Mom should just didnt allow myself to bond, then came the day she had to go. I sent her with a book that told her my story and I gave her addresses and phone numbers that would never be changed where she could contact me if ever. We had a closed adoption through a NYS lawyer and a South Carolina Lawyer and I was able to chose her parents to be. I knew nothing about their personal lives and I only knew them as Tina And Charles, which I believe were fictitious names, many years go buy and my maternal instincts wanted to get an update on Chloe Sara's life. So upon tracking down my attorney, who I was having a very hard time finding, which i was told by SC Attorney Bar Association informed me had lost his license to practice Law, and I could look it up on internet which I did he was charged withcharged with engaging in misconduct in violation of various

    provisions of the Rules of Professional Conduct, Rule 407, SCACR, and the

    Rules for Lawyer Disciplinary Enforcement, Rule 413, SCA and then again The nys lawyer also lost his license to practice for Pearl River. New York, attorney, Michelman had run one of the largest private-adoption practices in the New York region. Until October 1994, that is, when he was suspended from the practice of law for three years on six charges of professional misconduct arising from two private adoptions in which he represented both the biological mother and the adoptive parents.

    Died: May 7, 2009
    Profession: Lawyer
    Related organizations
    Organizations this person works for or is related to
    Organizationsort icon Position Country From To
    Today's Adoption Agency Director 1995-00-00
    Documents
    News paper articles, official documents and reports filed about this person
    Document Datesort icon
    Stanley Michelman obituary 2009-05-10
    A BABY ARRIVES AMID JOY, DEPARTS AMID HEARTACHE 1997-04-02
    N.Y. SUSPENDS ADOPTION AGENCY 1997-03-20
    One Year in Adoption Hell 1996-09-23
    Adoption agency barred in N.Y. pending hearing 1996-09-14
    AGENCY ACCUSED OF CHARGE FOR FALSE ADOPTIONS 1996-09-14
    ADOPT 'RIP-OFF' HIT 1996-09-13
    ADOPTION AGENCY IS CALLED A FRAUD 1996-09-13
    South Carolina's Booming Baby Business 1984-02-26
    South Carolina Is the Nations Baby Buying Supermarket 1984-02-26
    Location

    Pearl River, New York So this is where Im at any suggestions or ideas on what to do next

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is awful! My best guess, and I am not a law expert by any means, but would be to contact a legit attorney that has to do with adoption in SC and ask them what can be done

    ReplyDelete