Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thanksgiving Blues


As the year winds down into seemingly endless holidays, it's easy to get sucked into a vortex of downward spiraling depression. While in many ways I feel I've 'aged out' of the seasonal adoption depression, I was taken aback in church this weekend by a video shot in my birthdaughter's hometown of all places. It took a few minutes of tears and asking, "What just happened?" before I was able to get my bearings again.

One of the best ways I've found to combat seasonal depression is by thanksgiving. Not the holiday, the act. It's a proven fact that one of the mysteries of God is that if we give Him thanks regardless of our circumstances, He fills us with joy regardless of our circumstances. So here, in no particular order, are the things I'm thankful for as of this moment:

  • a warm home
  • a loyal, hardworking husband
  • clean clothes
  • an adoptive family for Katie
  • lovely and loveable children
  • homeschooling
  • 4 seasons
  • warm showers
  • my own car
  • a direct line to the God of the Bible
You get the idea. It's amazing what happens when we start focusing on the good stuff in our lives. When we do, there is no time to focus on the negative. Am I talking about living in a bubble? No way. I challenge you this week to start counting the things you are thankful for every time a negative thought creeps into your mind. See what happens.

Happy Thanksgiving.


Photo credit

No comments:

Post a Comment