Friday, August 23, 2013

Being a Birth Mom Does Not Define Who I Am

Hello BirthMom Buds blogging world. My name is Annie, and I'm new. (Makes me feel like I'm in kindergarten again.) I guess I'm supposed to tell you about myself now. 

Well, like I said, my name is Annie. I'm a birth mom. My son, Micah, is 15 months old and as big as a toddler. I found out I was pregnant when I was 17 years old. I also found out when I was 37 weeks pregnant. I was a senior in high school. "This is going to be the best year of my life!" I would tell myself that every day until the school year started. Little did I know, it would be the best, AND the worst. 

The year started off alright. I have never been a good student, but it was never a priority to me. I was in an English class that I never wanted to go to. My school had a program called "SOC" which stood for seniors open campus. I didn't get proficient on my PSSA standardize test the year before, so I wasn't granted SOC until spring semester of my senior year. But, pshh, like that could stop me from skipping. I would slip out with a group of friends after first period and either go out to breakfast with them or go home. My parents never really asked any questions about why I was home almost every morning at 9:30. My teacher started calling home around November and, well, you know the rest. I got In School Suspension (ISS) for the rest of the semester. My mom assumed that I was going through a crisis. But little did we both know, it was mainly just my hormones. I wasn't getting morning sickness or any of the normal signs of pregnancy. Wasn't getting my period, either, but I was on the Depo shot. Finally the semester ended and the question of pregnancy was brought up by my mother, of all people. I had brought up my weight with her and, jokingly, she told me to take a test. I took one the next day and what do you know! It was positive. (Insert sobbing intermixed with profanity here). Anyway, on March 16, 2012 it was official, via blood test. "Here we go!" I thought. "I can handle 9 months of this." But it wasn't gonna be 9 months... It was gonna be 3 weeks. 

Keegan Michael was born at 5:11 am (AM - I'm not a morning person at all), April 6, 2012. He was, unfortunately, an emergency c-section baby. Everything was fine though, don't you worry! He was born peeing. (That's what I was told, the doc had to put me under due to lack of anesthetic). He was the most perfect-est baby you'd ever seen, but all moms say that about their babies. I had 3 days with my son. 3 of the shortest days of my life. Then on April 9, 2012, S and H came to pick up their new son. 

Before I had Micah, I kinda just labeled everything as chance. Ya know, luck? Like that $5 bill you found in your jeans. Or the front row parking spot you find on Black Friday. Even the call you got from your boss telling you not to come in to work today. All of these things I used to just call chance. I never believed in all of that "everything happens for a reason." I figured out after I had Micah, that he was meant to be on this earth, and he was meant to have me as his mother. Now I'm more of a "everything happens for a reason" kinda girl. I guess everything is perspective, so you just gotta give life a second glance every now and again. 

I really hope y'all enjoyed reading this.. It's not every day a girl gets to blog about what she's passionate about to other women who are passionate about the same thing! Well, until next Friday, mothers. 













No comments:

Post a Comment