Friday, June 7, 2013

Spotlight Blogger: Meet Kadie

Today our featured blogger is brand new to the world of writing a blog. She's only been blogging for a few weeks at her blog, Letters For Brody, so be sure and stop by her blog to show your support!

First, please tell us a bit more about yourself (name, age, where you live, what led you to making an adoption plan, and anything else you feel comfortable sharing). 

My name is Kadie Ballentine. I am 25 years old, and I live in Birmingham Alabama. I had a son on February 27, 2013. I knew I couldn’t be the mother he deserved or provide a good life for him, but I knew I HAD to be a part of his life. That’s why I wanted to do an open adoption.

When and why did you begin blogging?

My blog is very new. I started it about 2 weeks ago, but I had been planning it for a while. I wanted to start it because I know I was completely lost when I was facing adoption. I didn’t know anything about it or what my options were. I would have loved to have known some of the journeys other women in this type of situation have traveled. I wanted to make my story available; I hope it inspires others and gives women hope. Also, I want to build relationships with people who have gone through this. I figured this may also be a good way to do that!

Tell us more about the title of your blog, Letters For Brody. Why did you choose it? 

I had a few things that I wanted going into my open adoption. I wanted to be able to have Brody in the hospital, receive pictures and updates often, get to see him on occasion, and I wanted to be able to explain to him why I gave him up for adoption. The adoptive mother allows me to write him letters. I have a notebook that I will give him when he is old enough to understand the situation. That way he can know why, and what this journey has been like for me. These letters will also confirm that I think about him all the time and I love him so much. Although my blog contains my story, it also contains letters I have written Brody. It just seemed like a fitting title.

Has the response to your posts been mostly positive, mostly negative, or a mix of both? 

Well, my blog is still new, so most of its exposure has been to friends and family. So far everything has been positive. I have had people who have known me my whole life express that they are getting to see a whole new side to me through it. Everyone seems to enjoy it and they say it’s inspiring, so I am glad for that.

What post on your blog do you consider a “must read” for people visiting your blog for the first time? Or what post(s) from your blog is (or are) your favorite(s) and why? 

That’s hard to answer. Every post is so personal and has its own message. However, I think one of my favorite posts is the very first letter I wrote Brody (entitled March 1, 2013). It was my first day away from him since the day I had gotten pregnant, and the emotions are so deep and strong. It’s the first letter he will read from me. It contains so much of my heart, and I think every birthmother’s heart a little bit. Some of the circumstantial aspects may be different, but the core of message is the heart of every mother.

Do you have any advice for someone thinking of starting their own blog? 

Don’t think about it too much; just let your heart flow onto the page. The great thing about blogging is that there is no wrong format or structure. It’s okay if it is scattered or spontaneous. It’s good to let it out, however suits you best!

No comments:

Post a Comment