Thursday, June 6, 2013

Sisterhood


One of the crazy things about this common experience is that it binds us together across race, faith, age, hair color, cultural background, education, etc. Birthmothering is a sisterhood of gigantic proportions. Or at least that's what I feel and believe in my heart. So last week, I acted on it.

A gal I met at the BMB Retreat lives near the place my husband and I were planning to visit. He had some meetings to attend and I had some downtime, so I took a risk and asked her out for the day. Kind of like a date. Maybe more like a blind date.

We didn't get lots of time to visit at the Retreat, so I wasn't even sure she would agree, but she did with excitement. Since we were to be in a bustling city, I wasn't nervous about what to do. There was plenty to do while we talked. Or not. I was hoping it wouldn't be awkward, but you just never know.

Anyway, it wasn't awkward at all. Not in the least bit. We talked about anything and everything. We walked around the city and a museum and beautiful gardens. Sometimes we were quiet. Sometimes we talked so much we missed our train stop.

I'm so glad I have birthmother sisters in my life. We have more that binds us together than separates us. Let's remember that in our dealings with each other.





Photo credit

2 comments: