Thursday, November 8, 2012

So Close, Yet So Far

It won't be long before we are vacationing in the very state where my birthdaughter and her family live. This has only happened one other time. It was weird, too. I'm expecting this time to be no different.

The last time was several years ago. I knew the area where she was living and even knew her place of employment. We were flying into the local airport and I wondered what it would be like if I just showed up at her work to say "hello". I weighed all the pros and cons. I prayed. I schemed. I planned. I played out as many scenarios in my head as I could come up with.

In the end, our traveling days at both ends were on Sunday, the one day of the week her work was closed. Totally shut down. No chance of me even catching a glimpse of her.

Providence? Perhaps. Dropping in on her life unannounced is probably not the best thing to do to someone with whom I am trying to build a relationship. In fact, thinking about it now it seems pretty selfish.

This time around I don't have nearly the information I had previously. That's probably a good thing, don't you think?



Photo credit

No comments:

Post a Comment