Friday, April 13, 2012

Spotlight Blogger: Meet Cynthia

Today's featured blogger is Cynthia of Restorative Grief for Birth Mothers.  She's also an author of a book similarly titled to her blog - "Restorative Grief: A Guide To Healing From Adoption,"  Let's find out a little more about Cynthia....


First, please tell us a bit more about yourself (name, age, where you live, what led you to making an adoption plan, and anything else you feel comfortable sharing).

 My name is Cynthia Christensen and I live in Longmont, Colorado. I run the gamut on reasons for placement!  I was on my 5th crisis pregnancy - very irresponsible.   I had two living children and had also had 2 abortions.  When I found out about my 5th pregnancy, I was in a toxic relationship, had one special needs child, and really just feared that should I keep my son his birth father would never go away and I would always be worried as to what kind of scary things my son would be exposed to.  His birth father was looking for a lifetime tie to me and I knew this was my last chance to make a break.  So, I chose adoption as the best alternative for my three children and me.

When and why did you begin blogging?

I began blogging in late 2010 as a way to reach birth mothers and promote my book, "Restorative Grief: A Guide To Healing From Adoption.”  My heart’s desire is to educate adoptive parents on the birth mother side of things and how to keep from doing more damage to birth families by not holding up their end of the deals they make.  I would love to have the triad become more transparent and for all parties involved to become more aware and caring towards the other side. My heart’s other desire for birth mothers is to see them come full circle in their grief process and rise up from the ashes to become who they were created to be, and to hopefully bump into Jesus at some point in the process.  So, I keep going!

Tell us more about the title of your blog, Restorative Grief for Birth Mothers.  Why did you choose it?

I chose it to stay consistent with my book. I really am not into the internet/computer stuff--very illiterate in that area actually so I like to K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Sweetie!)

Has the response to your posts been mostly positive, mostly negative, or a mix of both?

Well, since moving to Blogspot a month or so ago, there are no comments so I can say neutral right now.    Of course on my old blog I had both extremes and everything in the middle. I believe people speak from the overflow of their hearts and minds and many are still stuck in bondage or aren't in the same spot on the path that I am.  Or they are not coming at it from the same foundation, so really, I like to hear good feedback (of course!) but I listen to it all and at the end of the day drop it at the foot of the cross to dissect with Jesus.

What post on your blog do you consider a “must read” for people visiting your blog for the first time?  Or what post(s) from your blog is (or are) your favorite(s) and why?

I really love "Dear Adoptive Parent" because of all the stories I hear.  Artificially closed off adoptions are among the highest ranking and most common as far as keeping birth mothers in grief and turmoil. Another soft spot I have is for special needs children.  They are the least often adopted children and this hurts me. I have a special needs child and if I were to ever adopt, it would be a special needs child.  They bring so much of Heaven with them to this earth.  My other favorite blog post would be "10 Reasons To Adopt A Special Needs Child".

Do you have any advice for someone thinking of starting their own blog?

Set time aside to just write and commit to it. This is the blogging aspect I need to work on most! Life is just crazy with kids and homeschooling, their sports, my new chihuahua, being a wife, book promotion, speaking engagements, blah, blah, blah! God equips -- and my mantra this week particularly is stolen straight from Coley Strickland -- You were made for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment